There are some important things that I always have in mind when I prepare classes for my students:
- An emphasis on teaching and giving instruction mostly in Spanish. (English will be kept to a bare minimum)
- To use real life and current texts in class.
- To provide opportunities for learners to focus, not only on the language, but also on the Learning Management Process.
- To recognize the learner’s own personal experiences as important contributing elements to classroom learning.
- An attempt to link classroom language learning with language activities outside the classroom. (Students should learn to take into account all the parties of the communication process such as the sociocultural factor, the relationship between the speakers, the kind of person whom he/she has to speak with, etc.)
- To develop four different communicative skills: speaking, writing, listening and reading, (each one as important as the previous), but initially we will focus on developing the speaking skills.
This approach to teaching is known as Communicative Language Teaching. It is one of the most recognized methods in foreign language teaching. More details can be found in David Nunan’s book: “The learner-centred curriculum” (1991)